foomart foomart

 Saturday, November 15

There is classical music blaring, just blaring from the parking lot next door. All my windows are closed up tight, and it's still loud enough that I could identify the piece if I knew what it was. I know without peeking that it's coming out of the speakers of one of the white-haired skinny old man's motorcycles. I love my neighborhood.

Our other neighbors in the apartment building across the way include Smokey Joe, aka Mork. We named him Smokey Joe because several times a day he walks over by the dumpster, smoking a cigarette, and stands there, Walkman on, cap on, in his Army jacket, stilly smoking. Then he walks back in. Sometimes he carries a small bag of garbage, but usually he's just out there to smoke. I saw him once without the cap, and he's shiny bald on top, but with long salt-and-pepper hair on the sides. Our former next-door neighbors named him Mork because of the Walkman. They believed he was getting orders from the mothership on those headphones. He's got a brother who walks with a walker, and a piece-of-shit former sports car which he starts up and runs every weekend. I've actually seen him drive it out of the parking lot from time to time, unlike his piece-of-shit pickup truck with the cap on it which is completely full of stuff. I think it's their only closet space. They lined the windows with paper bags at some point, to prevent theft or sun damage, I don't know. Mork is the only neighbor I've seen who's ever acknowledged the heartbreakingly skinny stray cat who lives in the area.

We've also got a neighbor who's got the physique and posture of C. Montgomery Burns, and the head of Beavis. He tends to wear high-water pants or shorts which show off his skinny, pasty legs. I walked behind him for a block or two once, past Moe's Bait and Tackle, and he was weaving and wobbly. I don't know if he was drunk that early afternoon or suffering from something else.

Our other neighbors include Rae Dawn, who keeps getting new cars with Delaware plates, and the Red-Headed Poof, who once woke up to find "Sex Slave" written in the snow on his car's windshield. There's Rene, who may actually really be named Rene. He's a nice little man with a bad limp and a wife who's always hanging out the window of their second-floor apartment. We can't forget the Noisy Family, no matter how hard we try: every trip they take features the parents bickering and the three children whining, wailing and grousing as they get buckled into the car. Every time. I don't know why they bother. There's the Security Guy, who was the only one who tried to get to work after a particularly huge blizzard, ultra-suspicious super spy Bora Milutinovic and his scruffy little dog Floormop, happy bickering couple Victor Navasky and Betty Friedan, and the Guy Who Lives For His Stupid Corvette. He's got a German Shepherd and a girlfriend who once applied deodorant in her car, in full view of our former neighbor (the one who named Mork and the Red-Headed Poof). This wouldn't be too notable but for some reason she removed her shirt to do it.

The last one I can think of is the Backy Uppy Guy, who's got a honkin' big flag on his honkin' big minivan in which he sits with the motor running for hours at a time in the summertime. He also has a backup alarm on his car which meep meep meeps several times a day with its wheezy screech since his parking spot apparently can't be reached by going forwards. I'm not sure he knows what the D setting means on that thing.

These are the people in my neighborhood.
These are the people in my hood.
These are the people in my neighborhood.
And most of them are up to no good.
5:25 PM


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


UR you; IM me.

trees
moblog