foomart foomart

 Tuesday, October 7

Hm. Having spent an awful lot of time yesterday sorting my music into genres, I've changed my mind about that. It's really of very little use as far as iTunes is concerned. Now I'm thinking about re-sorting them all. Maybe I'll dump them back into the big folder they're in, or maybe I'll segregate them into 28 folders, one for each letter of the alphabet, one for numbers and punctuation, and one for compilations. The genre folders did come in handy for one thing; I dumped the folders into iTunes as individual playlists, and from there it was easy to select all the files and quickly tag the genre of all of them. I could have used MP3 Rage to do the same thing, but it's slower than iTunes for jobs like this. It does have a lot more power, though--if you're a hyperorganized Mac user, I highly recommend it. You can use it for all sorts of juju on non-music files as well. In any case, I can use iTunes's "smart playlists" now that I've got the genres tagged, and it won't matter what kind of folder arrangement I end up using in the Finder. I sure do wish Apple would get it together and do "linked playlists" like Audion does. They've had that feature for years. You just point it at a folder and it whips up a playlist based on the folder contents. If you add stuff to the folder, the playlist updates just like magic. It's such a basic feature and I have no idea what's holding Apple back from implementing something similar.

I do know that the radio is down right now. It's got nothing to do with all this iTunes stuff, I'm just waiting for some big downloads to finish before I give my machine the restart it wants so badly.

12:48 PM


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


UR you; IM me.

trees
moblog