foomart foomart

 Saturday, January 31

Well, that wasn't so bad after all. I'm rebuilding everything the way I like it, but stuff like my mail seems to be in good shape. Panther isn't too different from Jaguar; I'm still enjoying Exposé but the wheeeee! factor will surely wear off quickly. Other than that, the only difference is the stability. Which I like.

While the pooter was down yesterday I reorganized the kitchen. It's always been an efficient working kitchen but needed a couple of tweaks, moving more-frequently-used items to more convenient places and stashing some small appliances that don't get the everyday use they'd need to deserve their counter space. Now it hums like it should. Once we finish all the work on it we'll be able to open a restaurant in there.

I'm in touch with a couple of different cabinet-making types, either of whom would be great, I bet. It's just a matter of how much they want to charge us. We have an absolutely laughable budget for this project, so we're doing as much as possible ourselves, but I think the cabinets are worth paying someone to do. I'm pretty sure our homemade ones would be worse than the cruddy ones that are there now. Not that we're looking for anything particularly fancy, even, it'd just be nice to have cabinet doors that, y'know, close. We've fixed them and fixed them and they're just too shoddily made to ever work.

I found a place to do the powder coating of the stove, so once we start tearing stuff apart in there we'll need to make a quick run to Stanhope, NJ to drop the parts off. They seem flexible and very happy to do this sort of small custom job. I'm trying to decide whether to get the trim bits chromed at the same time, or maybe get the flat parts made in stainless steel to match the rest of the kitchen. Decisions, decisions. I was thinking about a brushed stainless steel backsplash. There are plenty of fabricators around here who can hook us up with the custom-cut pieces, and I bet it won't be too expensive; gotta love those B2B Yellow Pages. I'm not sure, though; B wants a high backsplash all the way around and that might end up being too much metal. I want it to work like a professional kitchen, but that doesn't mean it has to look like one. Perhaps I'll tape some tinfoil around the wall to see what it feels like, while I'm down there waiting for my scalded half-and-half to cool so I can make this batch of yogurt.

9:22 AM


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com


UR you; IM me.

trees
moblog